Academic Learning Center Tutor Program
The Academic Learning Center (ALC) offers peer tutoring services to all SCSU students in Centennial Hall 236. Please see the link to the ALC Tutor Schedule below for specific times.
We currently offer tutoring in general study strategies, as well as Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Film Studies, English Literature, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, and other subjects. See our schedule for specific classes and times the tutors for those classes are available. If there is a course you would like to see added to the list, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and if we see enough demand for a particular course, we will try to find a tutor to meet that need.
To make an appointment to see a tutor:
- Visit us at Centennial Hall 236. Drop-ins are welcome, but scheduled appointments have priority.Click on the link to find an early version of our tutor schedule for Spring 2015: Tutoring Schedule by Subject.
- There are two ways to arrange a tutoring appointment:
- Online at https://tutor.stcloudstate.edu. Log in with your StarID and password. If you have trouble logging in please stop in to the tutor center, Centennial Hall 236, or call 320-308-4993.
- In person at the Academic Learning Center (CH 236). Check with the person at the front desk.
- Email email@example.com with questions or concerns about using the tutor scheduling system.
- If we do not have a tutor for a subject you need, please fill out an ALC Tutor Request Form and bring it to CH 236, or copy and paste the information on the form into an email, fill it in, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that some departments, for example, ECC Math and Biology, have their own tutors, and they should be contacted directly for tutoring services.
- If you want help with general study strategies, stop in to Centennial Hall 211B to make an in-person appointment with our graduate assistant or click on this link to schedule your appointment online: Online Booking.
Our tutors would be glad to facilitate study groups for specific classes. If there is a group of students from a class interested in forming a study group, contact the tutor(s) listed for that subject, stop by the ALC Tutor Center (CH 236), or send an email to email@example.com.
Academic Learning Center Tutor Training Program
December 2011, the Academic Learning Center's Tutor Training Program achieved both Level 1 and Level 2 Certification from the College Reading and Learning Association.
The Academic Learning Center offers training for tutors across campus. Our tutor training program consists of ten hours of training that begins with a 2-hour orientation session which covers the roles, rights, and responsibilities of a tutor. After completing the orientation, tutors have choices of how they will complete the additional eight hours of training:
- Four online modules
- Setting Goals and Planning
- Learning Styles
- Study Skills
- Memory and the Brain
- A selection of 1-hour workshops covering topics such as working with students with disabilities, effective communication skills, and preparing for cumulative exams.
In addition, once students have completed the orientation session, they will have access to the Tutor Training D2L Brightspace site with handouts and other information useful to tutors.
If your department offers tutoring and would like your tutors to participate in our training, please contact us via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone, 308-4993, and we will notify you of our schedule.