INFORMATION AND REFERRAL
Access Questions/ Complaints
- Student Disability Services (SDS), Centennial Hall Room 202, Tel. 320-308-4080 ,
- Owen Zimpel, SDS Director, Centennial Hall Room 202, Tel. 320-308-3117
Complaints about SCSU access should be filed with the Director of Student Disability Services.
Books on Tape
- Student Disability Services works with the publishers to obtain electronic formats of textbooks whenever possible as part of a reasonable accommodation. SDS will assist students who have memberships to RFB&D to seek out textbooks of available.
Campus Physical Access
- Building and Grounds Management, Building and Grounds Building, 4th Avenue and 6th Street, Tel. 320-308-2266
Building and Grounds Management staff is responsible for SCSU ongoing program of improving access to all facilities and will assist with building or equipment modifications that may be necessary within campus offices or classrooms.
Community Service Directory
- First Call For Help, P.O. Box 542, St. Cloud, MN 56302, Tel. 1-800-543-7709
Community Service providing information concerning social service agencies, counseling, financial assistance and other useful information.
- University Public Safety, Tel. 320-308-3333
- SCSU Human Resources Office, Administrative Services 204, Tel. 320-308-3203
SCSU Human Resources Office administers Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability with respect to all SCSU employment practices and activities.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- Equity & Affirmative Action Office, Administrative Services 102, Tel. 320-308-5123 - http://www.stcloudstate.edu/affirmativeaction
This office plans and coordinates affirmative action programs, monitors compliance with law and policy, maintains records of the program, and investigates discrimination and harassment concerns and complaints.
Escort Services/ Public Safety
- 24 hour Security/Escort Service, Tel. 320-308-3333
This walking service for students, staff, faculty, and visitors is available twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.
In the event of the closing of the University because of a weather emergency, the department/unit in which a hearing impaired person is an employee, shall designate a person responsible to notify the hearing impaired employee or a person named by the employee, of the University's closing.
SCSU asks everyone's help if or when a building needs to be evacuated. Students, faculty and/or staff who anticipate they could have a problem knowing when or how they should evacuate a building, should alert the Vice President of Student Life & Development or the Assistant to the Vice President for Administrative Affairs, about their needs.
In the case of a fire or building evacuation, the St. Cloud Fire Department will be responsible for evacuating people within the buildings. Additionally, at the beginning of each semester, faculty are asked to remind students that in the event of an emergency building evacuation, anyone having a disability that prohibits them from moving down stairwells, should move to the nearest stairwell landing, from where the St. Cloud Fire Department can provide for their evacuation.
Emergency Evacuation Floor Plans for all SCSU buildings are located at:
- Residential Life, Ervin House, Tel. 320-308-2166
- Independent Lifestyles, 519 2nd St. N, St. Cloud, Tel. 320-529-9000
Campus accessible housing information is available through Residential Life. Information about accessible St. Cloud Area housing is available through Independent Lifestyles.
Learning and Academic Skills Assistance
- Academic Learning Center, Centennial Hall 236, Tel. 320-308-4993
The ALC staff offers assistance to students who want to become more efficient and effective learners. Individual and group assistance is provided.
Minnesota Relay Service
If any difficulties occur during your relay call you may request to speak to a supervisor. You may also ask the communication assistant to transfer you to Sprint Relay Customer Service.To file a commendation, complaint or concern, contact:
Rochelle R. Garrow,TAM Administrator
Telecommunications Access Minnesota
Minnesota Department of Commerce
85 - 7th Place East, Suite 600
St. Paul, MN 55101-3165
651-297-8941 / 800-657-3599
Sprint Relay 24-hour Customer Service - 1-800-627-3529 or dial 7-1-1
Minnesota State Council on Disability
121 East 7th Place, Suite107, St. Paul, MN 55101 (651) 296-6785 (V&TTY) Toll-free: (800) 945-8913 (V&TTY) Fax: (651) 296-5935
Website: http://www.disability.state.mn.us E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This office provides information and referral to the public regarding all services to people with disabilities. It advises reviews and assists with the development of programs, services, and legislation for people with disabilities in Minnesota.
- Parking Enforcement, University Public Safety, 525 4th Avenue South, Tel. 320-308-3453; 320-308-2010 TDD/TTY
- Minnesota Public Safety Department Driver & Vehicle Services Division The NCL Tower Suite 1000 445 Minnesota St. St. Paul, MN 55101-2128 Tel. (651) 296-2001
Most parking areas at SCSU have designated disability parking spaces; state permits are required to use the spaces. Permanent and temporary disability parking permits must be applied for through the State Driver and Vehicle Service Division. The permits take three to six weeks to process. For other on-campus parking information, contact University Public Safety. (See campus map in front of booklet depicting wheelchair accessible entrances and handicapped parking areas.)
- Rehabilitation Services, 1542 Northway Drive, Door 2, St. Cloud, MN 56303, Tel. 320-308-2224 (Voice/TTY); 320-654-5335 (Fax)
- Rehabilitation Services, Administration Office, First National Bank Bldg, Suite E200, 322 Minnesota Street, St. Paul, MN 55101, 651-296-5616 / 800-328-9095 (Voice); 651-296-3900 (TTY) / 800-657-3973 / 651-297-5159 (Fax) Internet Address: http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/JobSeekers/People_with_Disabilities/
- Center for Rehabilitation Services St. Cloud Hospital, 1406 Sixth Ave. N., St. Cloud, MN 56303-1901, 320-229-4922
These provide vocational rehabilitation services to people with disabilities. Services include career planning, vocational and independent living skills training, job placement, and job retention.
Sign Language Interpreter
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing Regional Service Centers (RSC)
3333 W. Division Street, St. Cloud MN 56301
320-255-3502 (V); 320-255-3590 (TDD)
All SCSU departments, programs, and organizations are responsible for retaining interpreters for non-class programs or events. The RSC is operated by the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Division of the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Call Student Disability Services, 308-4080 with questions and/or call RSC or CSD (Communication Services for the Deaf) at 1-877-456-7589, to hire an interpreter.
State Services for the Blind
- Communications Center, 2200 University Avenue West, Suite # 240, St. Paul, MN 55114-1840, 651-642-0500 (Voice); 651/642-0506 (TTY); Fax: 651/649-5927;
Internet web site: http://www.mnplan.state.mn.us/star/program.html?Id=49
- Midtown Square, 3333 West Division Street, Suite 212, St. Cloud, MN 56301-3783
320-255-4800 (Voice); 320-202-6401 (TTY); Toll Free: 1-800-366-5420; FAX: 320-255-4801
Provides vocational rehabilitation services to people who are blind or visually impaired. Services include career planning, vocational and independent living skills training, job placement, and job retention. They can also print documents in Braille format.
Locations of campus TTY's
- Atwood Memorial Center – Near Multicultural Student Services Office.
- Communication Disorders, Education Building Room: EBA-216- Tel. 320-308-2092 Voice/TTY
TTY's are Telecommunication devices used by deaf or hard of hearing individuals, people with speech impairments, and some people with physical disabilities. The TTY's that are available for public use are those that are pay or portable. The other TTY locations are for specific office use.
Transportation Services (Accessible bus service to campus)
- Metro Bus, Transit Center, 320-251-7433
- Care Cab Wheel Chair Transport, 320-251-6261
Information for accessible transit service is available from Metro Bus or call Care Cab for assistance.