Off Campus Housing
Many students elect to look for housing opportunities in the community. The housing market in St. Cloud is affordable. It is very important to plan ahead and start your housing search as soon as it is feasible.
The St. Cloud community offers over 10,000 apartments within a 10-mile radius of campus. There are 50 apartment complexes located directly on bus lines that SCSU students can ride for free. A wide variety of living situations are offered from efficiency apartments to homes with eight or more bedrooms.
Metro Bus offers free bus service within the metropolitan area with a St. Cloud State University student ID. SCSU students can use a campus ID card to travel wherever the city bus system travels. Regional bus service connects St. Cloud with the Twin Cities and other regions of the Midwest. Many local and national car rental companies are also in the area.
What's the cost?
Prices and quality can vary, so please plan on spending a day in town to tour your top choices.
- Studio apartments may range from $300 to $400 per month
- One-bedroom apartments may range from $450 to $550 per month.
- Two bedroom apartments may range from $550 to $650 per month
- Quads (four bedrooms with four persons) may range from $250 to $300 per person, per month.
- Homes with six to eight bedrooms may range per person from $250 to $350 per month.
Most apartment complexes design their leases to accommodate SCSU students. Students will find leases generally available for either nine, 10 or 12 months. A few facilities will offer a six month lease. Currently, there is an abundance of housing options in St. Cloud so students have been able to negotiate for perks such as a free garage, first month rent or last month rent free, etc.
Need help finding an apartment?
A student's best bet for quickly finding an apartment is to use one of the free apartment locator services. These companies will match a student's living requirements to the available apartments in the St. Cloud area. A student can arrange through their services a day to visit the open apartments that most closely match housing requirements.
- Apartment Finders can be reached at 320.259.4040 or 1.800.659.9233.
- My Apartment Map can be found at http://www.myapartmentmap.com
- Another free apartment search service is www.apartmentsoup.com.
- You may also search for apartments free at http://www.mycheapapartments.com/ and at ApartmentList.com
- A free search for rental homes and townhomes can be found at www.rentalhomesplus.com.
- Listings are also available in the St. Cloud Daily Times, found on-line at www.sctimes.com and in the SCSU student newspaper, The University Chronicle, on-line at www.universitychronicle.com.
SCSU does not promote these services or assume liability for a student's transactions with them. These references are provided in an attempt to serve students. As a student visits potential apartments, he/she should make sure to check out the safety features such as secured outside doors, intercom systems, and dead bolts on doors, and secured windows.
Need help finding a roommate?
Many students are interested in sharing an apartment to save money but might not know others planning to attend SCSU. If possible, plan to visit the campus and look at the many postings for roommates found in campus buildings. SCSU students will also post at www.roommates.com. This is a commercial site and not associated with St. Cloud State University.