Careers in Business
What HBS can do for you?
Business graduates are needed in every kind of organization - whether it's a high-tech firm, government office, hospital, school, small business or Fortune 500 company.
- More than 92% of available graduates find full-time or part-time employment in a related field.
- Employers such as Target Corporation in Minneapolis and ING Direct in St. Cloud hire many graduates from the HBS.
- Common fields of employment include loan officers, accountants and managers and even self-employed people, graphic designers and marketing directors.
Your degree will serve as a great foundation for an exciting, dynamic and rewarding career. With a combination of real-world applications and fundamental theories of sound business, you will succeed in a technologically and globally diverse world.
If you have questions about your resume, mock interviews, job fairs
or more, take a look at how Career
Career Development Activities and Courses
- HBS 411, Business Etiquette and Professionalism (1 credit). This course covers essential workplace skills such as giving/accepting feedback, managing conflict, leadership and business ethics along with advanced business etiquette topics.
- MKTG 333, Business Communication Strategies. This advanced writing course helps students develop the writing and presentation skills they will need to succeed in today’s workplace.
- Career Day—Every fall semester, the HBS sponsors a career fair with roughly 100 employers, so students can learn about career opportunities and find internships and entry level positions.
- Minnesota State University Career and Internship Fair
- Job Shadow Videos—To learn more about careers in business, watch the following job shadow videos posted on the SCSU's YouTube channel.
- Check out HBS faculty members discussing career options
The HBS Internship Program provides assistance to both employers and students who are interested in the internship process. Internships are an important tool used by the Herberger Business School to help prepare our students to make the transition from the classroom to the work place.
Professional Development Program
The HBS Professional Development Program is a structured, self-directed, career development experience. Through carefully developed activities and tutorials, this program offers opportunities to practice and explore the skills you will need to be a successful business professional.
The program was developed in response to the feedback the school received from employers and will help you fulfill your potential. The program contains tracks in the following areas:
- Professional and Life Skills
- Leadership and Integrity
- Career Development
- Global Perspective and Diversity
- Research and Critical Thinking
- Cultural Literacy
Tips & Suggestions
- How to Prepare for the Job Fair - and impress employers! (9 minute video from Career Services)
- Job Interview Tips (2 minute video from About.com)
- How to Prepare for Career Day (.pdf)
- Proper Behavior in the Workplace (.pdf)
- Professional Dress for Women (.pdf)
- Professional Dress for Men (.pdf)